The little man behind the idea
So the words from my son, "Mom, did you help them?" keep going through my mind.
Last week at bedtime prayer my sensitive child prayed for those who are in need, using whatever jargon that seven year olds use to ask for things in their innocence. Afterwards, I thanked him for his prayer and we began to talk about those who could use a little extra help, especially during the holidays. I explained to him that there are times in life when any of us could find ourselves in need.
As M and I talked, I told him about some situations I have seen that made me feel very sad for the children. Trying to share a sanitized version of experiences that break your heart and make you wish you could change the world, I explained that many people are in need throughout the world and right here in our city. After recounting one particular incident, he uttered those words "Mom, did you help them?"
For a moment, I felt like I had failed. I wanted to, I really did, but how does one so young understand that there are political and economic and all sorts of limitations that make us stop short of what our hearts really want to do. I went on to say that while we can't help everyone, we can help someone in a small way to have food, shelter, or a moment of peace.
He then made the declaration, "We can give all the kids a quiet book!". Yes, my little M, that is something that we CAN do and we ARE going to do it--at least for some.
So to make the heart of my seven year old glad, My Growing Season will be giving away 15 quiet books or soft toys for children who could use a little love and a smile this holiday season.
This is where you come in. Please send us nominations for a child who you think who may need a little extra help this year and could benefit from a quiet book or soft toy. Here are the rules (just because we have to have some sort of order).
HOW TO MAKE A NOMINATION:
1. Tell us in enough detail to understand the basics of the need, why you are nominating the child.
2. Please do not share the child's name. If selected, we will contact you for the information.
3. Nominations must be received by December 10, 2011.
4. Fifteen nominations will be selected and My Growing Season will happily share a Christmas gift with 15 children.
5. You can't nominate your own child.
6. Send nominations to email@example.com Please do not put any details about any nominee on our Facebook page to protect confidentiality.
8. Please include your name and email address so we can contact you.
9. If your nominee is selected, you will be contacted and given the opportunity to select one product of your choosing for your nominee. My Growing Season will mail the item to the recipient. All nominations and selected children will be kept strictly confidential.
10. Open to US entries only.
Thanks so much and please let us know soon of a child we can make happy this Christmas !!!